Saturday, January 12, 2008

Far from Home

It is now Saturday and I have officially been home in New Jersey for twenty-four hours. The past forty-eight hours have been an emotional roller coaster though. I never expected to feel the way I do now that I am home. The past week has felt like an eternity. From the moment we began our journey to Cusco, I knew Peru would always hold onto a part of me. Just a week before I was in Peru, I was in Florida, and although I enjoyed Florida thoroughly, I missed aspects of New Jersey. In Peru, once outside of Lima, I forgot New Jersey existed. The stress of reality was lifted and once I was over the altitude, my breathing and overall physical state improved. If I look tired in the pictures (which I know I do) it's only because Edwin, our tour guide, insisted we get up no later than 5:00 a.m. every morning and my body insisted on staying up and taking it all in until 2:00 a.m. I never felt tired... until today. I'm happy to be home with my family, but I miss everyone already.

The group from left to right standing: Erin, Rosa, Frank, Ann, Tim, Diana, Jen, Karina, Mike, Priscilla, Marilyn, and Kathy.

From left to right sitting: Elaine, Giseth, Colleen, Rebeca, Nikki, and Myself.


Rebeca, Erin, and Jen - breakfast on my couch will not compare to our table at the hotels every morning. I have no one to share my homeopathic medicine cabinet with anymore and there certainly is not an ounce of fresh pineapple juice in the fridge this morning.

Frank - I wish we could all relive your birthday everyday. I promise I was not on my computer at all yesterday and this should be one of only a handful of times I am on today. Thank you for your bartering strategies and I hope I was able to help you blog your way through Peru.

Nikki, Giseth, Rosa, and Karina - thank you for keeping me laughing. It was wonderful to spend time with all of you on the trip. Karina and Rosa, I'm really glad you tried the horseback riding. Now, I just hope no one smuggled back our guinea pig head.

Colleen - you are always such a positive person. Everything we did, you always carried such a wonderful and contagious smile. Keep smiling.

Priscilla - I'll never forget your dogs. It was fun speaking with you about our organic food choices. If I ever find another shirt with thumb holes, I'll be sure to point you to where it is.

Marilyn - You're the best person I could have had as a roommate. I hope my late nights blogging didn't affect the few hours Edwin gave us to sleep. Thank you for everything, but especially for your support. I'll never forget the quote you gave me, it is definitely one I needed at this time. I'm still going through tissues.

Elaine - Thank you for showing us how effective technology can be in the classroom. Peru will be a topic of conversation for your students for many weeks to come. This is one of those experiences that as adults we remember from our childhood when we reflect on our own time as students in the classroom. Your work may pave the path to a student's future career decision. Also, I was really excited I could be the official river photographer. More than anything, it showed me a side of Peru that opened my eyes to the reality of the people who live there. Thank you for keeping me laughing. I'll never forget shopping for swim wear in Machu Picchu or Cusco paraphernalia. Thank you for being my clothing guinea pig. I'm sorry I made all of us go swimming in that cold pool in Lima, especially after the fact that I found out where the hot tub was on the plane ride home. By the way, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online ... all day. Besides, we both know I'm training to become a cage fighter.

Diana - I'm lucky I have you on the East Coast. You had said it best and I agree. There will always be a part of my soul in Peru as well. There is a small part in Cusco, another in Chinchero with the weavers, and there's even a little bit at each of the rivers, but the largest part is on the summit of the mountain Machu Picchu. It watches the sun rise and set, it spies the rams on the mountain peaks, it greets those that follow in our footsteps, and it is no longer afraid of heights. Thank you for being there for me on the plane ride home. How ironic that we would have been seated next to each other on that particular flight. I didn't get to say goodbye to you at the airport, but we will be in contact soon.


Myself, Elaine, and Diana at Lima airport before coming home

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Elisa! Just stopped by to take a look at your blog. Your blog sums up all my feelings about Peru perfectly. Also thanks for the kind words :-) Hope all is well.