Saturday, January 5, 2008

Acclimating in Cuzco

It is 8:00 a.m., but if you asked me I would say it is about 3:00 p.m. We have been traveling since 2:45 a.m. I was lucky enough to have more of that wonderful pineapple juice before leaving this morning. (It really is the best I have ever had!) Getting through the airport was an adventure. When flying domestically, you arrive at the gate and proceed to a passenger bus. After boarding the bus, they drive you to the airplane where you board the aircraft from stairs on the runway. The flight is about an hour long and well worth it. My most recent question was "How do I like it overall?" Before the flight this morning, I would say I liked it a lot, but I wouldn't return to Lima. Now in Cuzco, I love it. I want to experience the flight in again. As you begin to descend through the clouds and look out the window, you can see the tops of mountains beginning to peak through parallel to the plane's wings! You might ask if I was nervous, I'd be lying if I told you no. Suddenly, everywhere around the plane was the Andes in their majestic green beauty. To enter the airport, we completed a 180 degree turn around a mountain and landed successfully. Because of the altitude here in Cuzco, my body must acclimate. I must continue to drink lots of water and I have already had a cup of delicious coca tea which is also rumored to aid acclimazation. I have been shaking slightly since we landed. I'm not sure if it is from the 2 hours of sleep I have had, the altitude, or the need for food.

The art and music in Cuzco is everywhere. After landing at the airport, we walked into the baggage claim area where a group was playing Andean music and selling cd's. It's funny to say this, but I suddenly felt like I was at a booth at the Bethlehem Fair in Connecticut. It's not much different except that the Andes were in view behind them. I recorded some of the music and I hope to post it soon. The artwork is beautiful, but primarily I have been viewing works of Spanish heritage. Even in the hotel lobby there is a painting of a Spaniard riding a horse. There is a giant gold sun mirror which is of Inca heritage. I love the prices of everything here. A taxi cab ride in Cuzco is equivalent to US$1.00. I have yet to attempt to buy anything. Tomorrow we are going to an Indian market in the valley where we can bargain the prices. I have taken some pictures of the hotel room and our view from the fourth floor which I am posting below. Needless to say, I need some sleep. We are meeting at 12:00 p.m. to get some soup and then again at 1:45 p.m. to take a tour of Cuzco. I love that I am getting questions from everyone. Please keep asking questions and if I have not answered a question fully, I plan to try to in future posts. Also, if you would like to see a picture of something I have not yet posted, let me know and I will do my best to capture it for you.

View from the hotel room.














The hotel room.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this is going to sound dumb, but are there a lot of llamas or alpacas there? What does the flowers look like? What is your favorite piece of art you have seen so far?

Anonymous said...

Please post pictures of your food and drink , if possible. Also, keep us updated on the shaking you have experienced. Do the other travelers in your group feel this way?

Anonymous said...

What is your favorite part of the trip so far? Can you comment on the economic status of the two cities?

Anonymous said...

I've got 5 dollars US, how much pineapple juice does that buy me?